Boko Haram attack kills 56 in northeastern Nigeria

Boko Haram kills at least 56 villagers in Borno State as part of plan to extent its influence in country

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Kashim Shettima, the governor of Borno state, addresses a protest rally by Nigerians demanding the release of the school girls abducted from the remote village of Chibok, in Asokoro.

More than 56 villagers were killed by Boko Haram in a remote area, the governor of the Borno State of the region announced on Sunday.

The attack took place at Badu village in Nganzi Local Government Area which is located 68 km from the capital state of Maiduguri.

Governor of Borno State, Kashim Shettima confirmed the attack during a meeting with the parents of the 219 Chibok girls who were abducted by Boko Haram in Maiduguri last year.   

“As President Muhammadu Buhari directed me to address you on the abduction of your daughters in April last year by Boko Haram, the security agencies hurriedly briefed me on another insurgents’ attack at Badu village, where 56 people were killed. “ he said.

In the area,“houses were torched. This is madness. The President asked me to commiserate with everyone of you. He said you should be patient,” he added.

Giving any further details about the attack he also said that “I have set up an emergency committee to go to the village tomorrow [Sunday] to give relief assistance to the affected people.”

According to fleeing residents, Boko Haram targeted their village on Friday night.

"We returned back to the village in the morning after spending the night in the bush, we saw corpses in the streets of the village," said farmer Mustapha Alibe.

A military source also confirmed that “one of the villages in north Borno was attacked by the insurgents while fleeing the Lake Chad Basin areas at the weekend.”

Right after the attack, a statement came from the Nigeria’s security agency on Sunday, announcing that 20 prominent members of the group were detained in several parts of the country.

"This followed the rounding up of notable commanders and frontline members of the notorious group from different parts of the country," the agency spokesman Tony Opuiyo said.

According to him, one of those captured, Usman Shuaibu, had confessed that he had a nine membered team to organize deadly attacks throughout the country. Other detainees were accused of launching attacks, preparing bombs and strapping explosives to suicide bombers.

"The arrest of Usman Shuaibu, aka. Money, and the core members of his cell, stemmed the spate of bombings by the extremist sect," said Opuiyo.

Opuiyo also gave a brief information about that Boko Haram is moving beyond of their usual targets to extend their influence in northeast to other areas.

The six year old Boko Haram militancy have killed at least 20,000 people in the country, including about 1,000 victims who have been killed since President Mohammed Buhari took power in the March’s election, promising to wipe out insurgency in the country.   

Buhari has been cooperating with the neighbouring states to extirpate the insurgency in the region. As a result of the joint plan, 8,700 strong regional military task was set up to fight effectively with the militants in the region.    

TRTWorld and agencies