Boko Haram militants have killed eight people in an attack on Nigeria’s northeast town of Gamboru, witnesses said.
The attack took place on Friday morning as people went back to the previously abandoned town to inspect their homes.
A resident told AFP that some residents went back to Gamboru after hearing a rumour that the town was safe for them.
“While they were inspecting their homes, Boko Haram gunmen on a motorcycle opened fire on them killing five men and three women," a witness told AFP.
Another witness said two other women were kidnapped by the group.
Friday’s attack is the latest in a wave of violence carried out by Boko Haram.
More than a million people are displaced inside Nigeria since Boko Haram launched a massive campaign in 2009.
Boko Haram has also regionalised the conflict, threatening the neighbouring countries.
Chad and Niger previously complained of a lack of cooperation with Nigeria, but the current administration in Nigeria has intensified its efforts to end Boko Haram’s six-year-old uprising, which has claimed more than 13,000 lives.
Nigerian army formed a multinational offensive in June, in a bid to force the militant group out of the areas it had captured.