Boko Haram launches night attack on Maiduguri

Boko Haram kills seven and injures 17 in a night attack staged in Borno’s largest city, Maiduguri

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Updated Jul 28, 2015

A rocket was fired by Boko Haram hit a residential building in Maiduguri, killing at least seven people and injuring a dozens of others on Friday night, according to security officials and local media sources.

“7 person were killed, 17 injured and about two houses completely destroyed as a result of the RPGs pumped into the town by Boko Haram insurgents,” a top security officer at the Department of Security Service (DSS) spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak.

In a separate attack, Boko Haram attempted to enter a town but could not advance further beyond the barricades and sand fortress dug and built around the troubled city, a low ranked military personnel told Leadership, a Nigerian newspaper.

The RPG attack in Maiduguri was confirmed by a member of Vigilante Group of Nigeria, Abbas Gava.

“My younger sister lives in Dala-Lawanti,” said Gava. 

“She and her family came running to my house at Maiduguri ward in the night because a heavy explosion had hit the house close to theirs. And when we went back this morning to find out what transpired we met people mourning the death of seven people killed by bullet from a rocket launcher. The building that was hit is rented apartments for tenants; it was badly destroyed,” he added.

No Boko Haram casualties were reported by officials following the attack.

Surrounded by a sand fortress and deep trenches, Maiduguri has since last year become a city nearly impossible for Boki Haram to capture. No vehicle can enter the city unless drivers use a highway which is under the control of officials. 

TRTWorld and agencies