Bombs rip through Nigeria’s Gombe

At least 37 die of two twin bombings that devastated bus stations in Nigeria’s Gombe district

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Updated Jul 28, 2015

Multiple bomb blasts in bus stations in the northern Nigerian city of Gombe claimed the lives of 37 people, red cross officials said on Thursday.

"Twin explosions.... led to 37 dead, and 105 injured are currently receiving treatment at the specialist hospital and Federal Medical Centre, Gombe," said a Red Cross official. It is feared that the death toll may potentially rise with reports of dozens of people injured.

The first bomb, exploded around 7:00pm (1800 GMT), was detonated by a suspected suicide bomber at a mosque at Dadin Kowa motorpark as people gathered to pray, two witnesses said. Another two blasts occurred at the gate of the major Duku bus station and a small market nearby. 

At least 50 people were killed in blasts at a market in Gombe last week. That attack was blamed on Boko Haram militants. 

No group has announced responsibility for the attack, however the attacks carried hallmarks of Boko Haram, the militant group affiliated with ISIS.

Boko Haram has stepped up attacks since President Muhammadu Buhari took office in May. Attacks have also been carried out in neighbouring Chad, Niger and Cameroon. Mostly in Countries taking part in the Nigerian-led military intervention against the armed insurgency aiming at forming a caliphate in Africa.

In northern Cameroon, two suicide bomb attacks killed at least 13 people and injured 32 others on Wednesday. 

According to Amnesty International, at least 17,000 people, mostly civilians, have been killed since Boko Haram launched its uprising in 2009.

The group is still holding many women, girls and children captive, including 219 schoolgirls it kidnapped from a school in Chibok in April last year.

TRTWorld and agencies