Burundi starts trials of coup attempters

Trails of Burundi’s coup attempters start, with leading figure of attempt still at large

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Updated Jul 28, 2015

Burundi announced 18 people including senior military officers have been taken to high court on Saturday for their involvement in a failed coup against President Pierre Nkurunziza.

Burundi  had been plunged into deep crisis after Nkurunziza's desicion for running for a third term, which caused protests and resulted in a coup attempt on Wednesday by the former intelligence chief Major General Godefroid Niyombare.

However, the country’s armed forces chief General Prime Niyongabo said early on Thursday that the attempted coup had failed thanks to the president's backers.

Major General Godefroid Niyombare, who attempted the failed coup on Wednesday, is still at large and his fate is still not clear.

The streets of the capital city, which staged the clashes on which many people died including one man being burned alive, were calmed by loyalist soldiers.

Burundi's constitution stipulates that a president can only serve for two terms.

However, Nkurunziza's supporters said he could run again because he was selected for his first term by lawmakers and not through elections.

TRTWorld and agencies