A car bomb explosion killed at least 18 Syrian opposition fighters on Wednesday in the southern village of Asheh, in Quneitra province, the London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
However, the death toll is controversial as Abu Omar al Golani, a Quneitra-based activist, said that 20 fighters were killed in the blast including commander of the Syria Revolutionaries Front, Abu Hamza al Naimi.
The Front has been mostly fighting with the Al Qaeda affiliated Nusra Front in northern Syria since late 2014.
None claimed responsibility for the blast but it’s believed that DAESH or Nusra Front is responsible for it.
Suhaib al Ruhail, a spokesman for the Alwiya al Furqan group which operates in the area, said that the attack was carried out by “DAESH sleeper cells.”
Ruhail said that the death toll of the blast is 10.
Issam al Rayyes, spokesman for the Southern Front of the Free Syrian Army, said 11 people had been killed in the blast, including commander Abu Hamza al Naimi.