A suicide bomb targeting U.S. consulate in Erbil has killed 3 people, two of whom are Turkish citizens, and injured 10 others.
The Turkish Foreign Ministry has issued a statement saying DNA tests are being conducted to identify the two Turkish victims who died in the bombing in the capital of Iraqi Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG).
"Five people among the 10 injured are Turkish citizens and receiving treatment in hospital," the statement added.
No U.S. diplomatic personnel in the embassy were killed or injured.
The U.S. State Department’s spokeswoman, Marie Harf, said the attack was caused by a "vehicle-borne improvised explosive device."
Erbil’s Ankawa district Police Chief Jalal Habib said the attack occurred in front of a cafeteria right outside the consulate operated by Turkish citizens and frequented mostly by foreigners.
ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack.
Kurdish Peshmerga forces have been fighting ISIS in northern Iraq since last year, however the capital of the KRG was considered a relatively safe place, having suffered few attacks in the past.
The last major ISIS attack in Erbil was in last November, when a suicide car bomber targeting the governor’s office blew himself up outside the building and killed five people.
Yesterday’s attack came hours after Iraqi forces and allied Shiite militia claimed to have killed Ezzat Ibrahim al-Douri, former right-hand man to late Iraqi President Saddam Hussein and one of the most important leaders of the insurgency fighting against the current Iraqi government.
ISIS have also claimed responsibility for a series of bombings in the Iraqi capital of Baghdad which killed at least 27 people Friday.