Ceasefire between Syrian opposition, regime in 3 regions

Ceasefire between regime forces and opposition groups alongside with Al Qaeda affiliated Nusra Front and regime forces come into effect in two Syrian villages of Idlib and Zabadani

Explosions seen in the aerial photo during the battle of Fu'aa betweenn Syrian regime forces and opposition groups including Al Qaeda affiliated Nusra Front

A ceasefire was announced on Sunday between Syrian regime forces and opposition groups alongside with Al Qaeda affiliated Nusra Front in two villages of Kefraya and al Fu’aa in Idlib Northwest Syrian province and Zabadani town in the countryside of Damascus, according the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR).

The ceasefire came after the Syrian opposition on Friday launched a fierce attack on the shiite-populated villages of Kefraya and al Fu’aa, the last regime held areas in Idlib province.

The ceasefire covers the two villages as well as the Zabadani town, the last opposition-held base near the Lebanese border.

"There is calm in Fuaa, Kafraya and Zabadani. There is no shelling and there have been no violations of the ceasefire since noon (0900 GMT)," said Rami Abdel Rahman, head of the Britain-based SOHR.

“The agreement did not specify an end for the ceasefire and the rival sides would continue negotiations for a broader truce,” he added.

Pro-regime forces allied by Hezbollah militants have launched an attack in July attempting to recapture Zabadani from opposition alliance, chiefly Ahrar al Sham causing a humanitarian dilemma in the town.

The regime attack on Zabadani promoted the opposition to besiege the two villages in Idlib.

Previously the same parties had agreed on a ceasefire twice in the same area. The first ceasefire was on August 12, while the other was on August 27.  

The truce preceded through negotiations in Istanbul, Turkey between Ahrar al Sham and Iranian mediators, who negotiated on behalf of the Syrian regime. The talks ended without any positive results due to disagreement on evacuation of rebels and civilians from Zabadani and other conditions.

The Syrian opposition media, Aleppo Today news channel, which monitors the Syrian war, said on Sunday night that the regime forces had allegedly broken the ceasefire. Regime forces were said to have attacked rebels in Idlib leaving one fighter injured. The regime warplanes had executed two air raids on Idlib, said activists.

The four-year- long war in Syria has claimed the lives of 300,000 people while it displaced half of the pre-war population of 22 million internally and in neighbouring countries.

At least 350,000 refugee have sought asylum in the European countries since the war began in Syria in 2011.

TRTWorld and agencies