The fighting between the Syrian army supported by Iranian-backed Lebanese Hezbollah and Syrian insurgents restarted on Saturday, as a two-day ceasefire declared in a southern Syrian town near the Lebanese border, and also, 2 villages northwest of the country broke down, said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR), a UK based monitoring group.
The two-day ceasefire started on Thursday in the Syrian town of Zabadani near the Lebanese border and two villages in the northwestern province of Idlib.
“The ceasefire has collapsed in Zabadani, Fuaa, and Kafraya this morning,” said Rami Abdel Rahman, head of the SOHR.
“There are clashes and shelling in Zabadani, and opposition fighters are shelling Fuaa and Kafraya.”
Abdel Rahman has not shared detailed information on which side broke the ceasefire and made no statement about the number of casualties.
A Kafraya resident speaking to AFP by phone said “dozens of shells have fallen on the town since early morning.”
The resumption of hostilities was also confirmed by Mohammad Abu Qassem, secretary general of Syria’s Tadamun (Solidarity) party and a mediator of the truce.
“The truce has ended, the negotiations have failed, and military operations have resumed in Zabadani, Fuaa, and Kafraya,” he told AFP.
Previously the same parties had agreed on a ceasefire in the same area on Aug. 12, for two days after six weeks of heavy fighting in Zabadani between Iranian-backed Hezbollah militants supporting Syrian regime forces and Syrian insurgents. Ahrar al Sham group, which controls parts of Zabadani was under heavy regime aerial bombardment.
The truce was preceded by negotiations in Istanbul, Turkey between Ahrar al Sham and Iranian mediators negotiating on behalf of Syrian regime, but the talks ended without any positive results due to disagreements on evacuation of rebels and civilians from Zabadani and other conditions.