Clashes continue on Yemeni-Saudi border

Saudi Arabia launches air strikes on Yemen after Houthi rebels attacked the Saudi border town of Najran

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Updated Jul 28, 2015

Saudi warplanes launched more than 30 air strikes overnight on the northwestern Yemeni provinces of Saada and Hajja near the border with Saudi Arabia, Reuters has reported.

Houthi sources told Reuters that 43 civilians were killed and at least 100 wounded as a result of the air strikes, which lasted until dawn on Wednesday. The figure could not be independently verified.

Yemen’s Houthi rebels launched a counter attack with rockets and mortars on the Saudi Arabian border town of Najran killing at least three Saudi people after weeks of Saudi-led air strikes targeting them.

The Houthi rebel leaders, who requested anonymity, also claimed to have captured five Saudi soldiers.

The official Saudi Press Agency verified that three people had been killed but gave no statement about the verification of captured Saudi soldiers.

Saudi General, Ahmed Asiri said that Saudi-led coalition forces continue to respond to the Houthi attacks.

"This attack by the militias shows their aim is to attack the livelihood of Saudi citizens," Asiri said during a call-in interview to Saudi state television. He described the situation in Najran as stable late Tuesday night.

Despite more than a month of Saudi-led air strikes targeting Houthi rebels, Iranian-backed Houthis have proven capability of launching major attacks.

The spokesman for the U.N. secretary-general, Stephane Dujarric said on Tuesday that the Saudi-led coalition began bombing the Houthi rebels on March 26 and at least 646 civilians have been killed in the Yemen conflict since the air strikes began, including 50 women and 131 children.

TRTWorld and agencies