DAESH claims responsibility for Homs bombings

DAESH claims responsibility for twin bomb blasts which rocked Syrian city of Homs, killing at least 59 people and wounding 100 others

Photo by: AFP
Photo by: AFP

Syrian firefighters spray water on burning car at the site of a double car bomb attack in the Al-Zahraa neighbourhood of the central Syrian city of Homs on February 21, 2016.

Updated Feb 22, 2016

DAESH has claimed responsibility for twin bombing attacks that hit the Syrian city of Homs, a news agency which supports the terrorist group said on Sunday.

According to the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR), 64 people have been kiiled in the attack in the Al Zahraa district and several wounded people are in critical condition. 

The SOHR said that the death toll included 39 civilians, 11 women and 2 children, in addition to 10 soldiers and cops.

" The rest of the dead are still unidentified," the SOHR said. 

At least 100 others were wounded by the blast and several of them are in critical condition, the SOHR said.

Footage from pro-regime television channels showed charred corpses buried among rubble, damage to shop fronts and debris littering a wide area. Many cars were on fire, sending out plumes of black smoke. Wounded people walked around dazed.

State television quoted the governor of Homs as saying at least 25 people had been killed in the attack.

Another bomb attack in Homs last month claimed by DAESH killed at least 24 people, after regime forces took back some DAESH-held villages in Aleppo province in the north.

Sunday's attacks came after the Syrian opposition said it had agreed to the "possibility" of a temporary truce, provided there were guarantees Bashar al Assad's allies including Russia would respect a ceasefire, sieges were lifted and aid deliveries were allowed country-wide.

Attempts to negotiate a truce in recent months have failed. The latest round of talks at the United Nations in Geneva is being jointly chaired by Russia and the United States.

World powers agreed in Munich on Feb. 12 to a cessation of hostilities that would let humanitarian aid be delivered in Syria.

The ceasefire was scheduled to start a week later, but did not take effect. Syrian regime offensives continue unabated across the country, backed by Russian air strikes.

Another bomb attack in December which killed 32 people took place following a ceasefire deal that paved the way for the regime to take over the last rebel-controlled area of the city of Homs, which was a center of the 2011 uprising against the Assad regime.

TRTWorld, Reuters