The death toll in a suicide attack by female bombers at a mosque in the northeastern Nigerian city of Maiduguri has risen to 25, a regional official said Thursday.
"Twenty-two people died immediately following the blast and three others died later in the hospital, bringing the total number of deaths to 25," said Mohammed Kanar, the northeast coordinator of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA).
"This is apart from the two suicide bombers who also died," he said on local television.
Kanar said NEMA has begun to provide relief materials to the families of those affected by Wednesday's attack.
The bombing, carried out by two women disguised as men, hit the Molai district of Maiduguri, the birthplace of Boko Haram which has been repeatedly targeted by the militant group in the past.
The attack was only the second this month in northeastern Nigeria and came after four raids and suicide bombings in February and eight in January believed to be the work of Boko Haram -- a marked fall since last year.
The mosque is in Umarari on the outskirts of the city that is now the command center of the Nigerian military's war against Boko Haram militant group. Several suicide bomb attacks have taken place in recent months at roadblocks into the city manned by the military and vigilantes.
Boko Haram militant group was formed in Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country, in 2009.
In the past six years some 17,000 people have been killed by Boko Haram, making it the world’s deadliest militant group. The group also caused around 2 million people to flee the area.
The militant group swore allegiance to the DAESH terrorist group in 2014.