Double suicide bomb attacks kill 22 in Syrian city of Homs

Double suicide bomb attacks kill 22 at army checkpoint in regime controlled Syrian city of Homs

Photo by: AFP
Photo by: AFP

A handout picture released by the regime’s Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) on January 26, 2016, shows the aftermath of a double suicide bomb blast that targeted an army checkpoint in Homs' Al Zahraa neighbourhood.

At least 22 people have been killed in a double suicide bomb attack at an army checkpoint in regime controlled city of Homs in Syria, regime media said.

The attacks in the Zahraa district of the city also injured over 100 people.

The initial attack was a car bomb that targeted a security checkpoint, killing mostly regime forces.

The second attack was a suicide bomber setting off an explosive belt.

Later, DAESH terrorist group claimed responsibility for the attack in an online statement.

It said one of its “fighters” had driven a car loaded with explosives to a security checkpoint in the Zahraa neighbourhood and blown himself up, killing at least 30 people.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights also reported the blasts, saying at least 21 people had been killed, 13 of them regime forces.

The Al Zahraa district of Homs, whose residents are mostly Alawites, have been targeted in bomb attacks in the past.

DAESH had claimed responsibility for those attacks as well.

Homs was once dubbed the "capital" of Syria's uprising, which began with anti-government protests in March 2011.

But the regime controls most of the city now, with the exception of al Waer district, which is being gradually turned over to the regime under a deal with opposition fighters.

TRTWorld and agencies