Egypt's public prosecutor killed in bomb attack

Egypt's public prosecutor killed in a bomb explosion in Cairo

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Updated Jul 28, 2015

Egyptian public prosecutor Hisham Barakat died on Monday after being wounded in a bomb explosion in a Cairo neighbourhood, according to security sources.

Barakat was taken to the nearby al-Nozha hospital after being wounded in the attack, which occurred in the residential district of Heliopolis near a military faculty as his convoy was passing, state news agency MENA reported.

However, the Al-Masry Al-Youm news website reported that Barakat underwent surgery for a broken nose and shoulder in addition to being injured by glass shrapnel.

"Terrorism killed the top man of our prosecution but despite this we will not be scared and we will continue our work," said Judge Ashraf Abdelhady as he left the hospital.

The Bawabat al Ahram news website also reported that three other men were injured in the attack, citing a judicial source in the prosecutor's office.

Health Minister Adel Adawi told reporters outside al-Nozha hospital where Barakat was admitted that the cause of death was "ruptures in the lung and stomach, and internal bleeding".

“The bombing caused injuries to three men, two of them are of the convoy security as the third is a civilian,” a security source told the Egyptian Erem news website, adding that two cars were also burned out by the bombing.

Local news portal Youm7 meanwhile reported that security forces surrounded the area and are in pursuit of the perpetrators.

Pictures posted on Twitter showed the bombing site, but they could not be verified.

​Two people were killed when militants targeted Barakat's office earlier this year, as tensions in Egypt run high over mass death sentences handed down to Muslim Brotherhood members, including the country’s first democratically elected President Mohamed Morsi who was deposed in a military coup in July 2013.

A group called the "Giza Popular Resistance" claimed responsibility for the attack in a Facebook post in which the group said it “targeted the public prosecutor of the the coup judiciary, Hisham Barakat during his movement in front of his home in New Egypt neighbourhood as his car and other two cars were bombed”.

The group, which claimed responsibility for earlier attacks on policemen, had released a video in which they threatened Egyptian security forces and police with revenge attacks on the anniversary of 30 June protests that led to the toppling of Morsi two years ago.

The attack comes after a militant group called “Sinai Province," which is affiliated to ISIS, called for attacks targeting the judiciary.

Judge Nagy Shehata, one of the judges who handed mass death sentences to the Muslim Brotherhood and other peaceful political activists commented on the call by saying he’s not the least bit scared, and that God will protect him.


TRTWorld and agencies