A suspected suicide bomber captured in northern Cameroon on Friday before attempting to blow herself up claimed to be one of 219 schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram in the Nigerian town of Chibok in 2014, military and local government sources said.
Two girls, carrying explosives, were stopped by local self-defence forces in Limani village of northern Cameroon that has been frequently hit by Boko Haram attacks in recent months.
In April 2014, Boko Haram militants raided a school in Chibok and abducted 270 girls in a high-profile attack that drew global attention. 50 of them escaped shortly after.
"One of them indeed declared that she is one of the Chibok hostages. She is around 15. We are now verifying, because on the Nigerian side they have the names and photos of these girls," said local government administrator Raymond Roksdo.
Two military sources who spoke on condition of anonymity, also confirmed that the girl was one of the Chibok abductees.
"We need a few days to be able to confirm this information. We have to debrief all the men who were present and interrogate the two girls before we can say anything," one of the military sources said.
The claim came after an established fact-finding committee visited Chibok where the girls were kidnapped, in order to investigate the incident.
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari, ordered a new investigation into the kidnappings in January.
Regional joint operations by Nigeria and its neighbours - Niger, Chad and Cameroon - successfully pushed Boko Haram out from many of its strongholds in Nigeria last year.
However, Boko Haram has stepped up cross-border attacks and suicide bombings after they were pushed out by an 8,700-strong regional task force. Many of these attacks are carried out by abducted young girls.