Four Bangladeshi workers killed in war-tarn Libyan city

Four Bangladeshi workers murdered in Benghazi, Libya’s war-torn eastern city

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

A man stands amidst debris at his house destroyed after clashes between military forces in Benghazi, Libya March 19, 2016.

Four Bangladeshis have been killed in gunfights between rival groups in the war-torn Libyan city of Benghazi, a Bangladesh minister said Sunday.

State minister for foreign affairs, Shahriar Alam, told AFP that authorities did not yet have full details on the dead.

Alam said embassy officials had received three bodies and they were being stored in a hospital in Libya. The fourth body had not yet been recovered.

"They died in clashes between two Libyan groups in Benghazi Saturday," Alam said.

An estimated 20,000 Bangladeshis are believed to be working in Libya, even though Dhaka, some six months ago, banned the sending of workers to the war-racked country.

Last year two Bangladeshi workers were abducted by suspected DAESH terrorists from a southern Libya oilfield. They were freed after more than two weeks.

Libya has descended into chaos since the 2011 ousting of long-time autocrat, Muammar Gaddafi, allowing terrorist groups like DAESH to gain significant ground in the oil-rich country.

The country has had two rival administrations since mid-2014 when the recognised government was forced to leave Tripoli after a militia alliance overran the capital.