Gaza war wound not healed on first anniversary

Gaza Reconstruction Conference was just ‘big charade,’ says Mustafa Barghouti, general secretary of Palestine National Initiative

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

Updated Jul 28, 2015

General Secretary of the Palestine National Initiative (PNI) Mustafa Barghouti said on Tuesday that Gaza has been still waiting for reconstruction of demolished homes and destroyed infrastructure although one year has passed since Israeli aggression.

“The developments after the war revealed that the Gaza Reconstruction Conference was just a big charade. The siege on Gaza has been continuing with a heavier and more despicable attitude even before the war,” he said referring to donors conference held in Cairo last year.

“We will not rest until those responsible for the killing of hundreds of our children and the destruction of dozens of hospitals, medical centers, and ambulances are prosecuted,” he added.

Barghouthi called the International Criminal Court (ICC) to investigate the war crimes carried out during the aggression by Israeli army soldiers as soon as possible.

Following the recent war launched by Israel in the besieged Gaza Strip, Egypt hosted Gaza Reconstruction Conference in the capital Cairo on Oct. 12, 2014.

A delegation of Palestinian senior officials, including Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, and US Secretary of State John Kerry and 30 other heads of states, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon were among the participants of the donors conference, where donors pledged $5.4 billion in aid to reconstruct the besieged Gaza Strip.

According to the Palestinian Information Center, the international participants who committed aid for Gaza did not back out of their pledge.

From July 7 till Aug. 26, in the year of 2014, Israel launched the 51-day “Operation Protective Edge” in Gaza Strip and killed more than 2,100 people, mostly women and children and injured another more than 11,000. On the Israeli side, 67 soldiers and six civilians were killed.

17,200 Gazan homes, 73 mosques and 24 schools were completely destroyed, while thousands of other buildings were partially damaged and at least 100,000 Gazans lost their homes.

Fifty Gazan families were entirely wiped out, according to human rights statistics.

The aggression followed the brutally killing of the 16-year-old Palestinian teenager Mohammed Abu Khdeir.

Khdeir was kidnapped in a street in East Jerusalem by Israeli settlers on his way to perform dawn prayers in a local mosque in Shufat refugee camp in West Bank. The settlers brutally burned him to death in a forest on July 2, 18 days after three Israeli settlers were found dead after went missing on June 12.

TRTWorld and agencies