Iraq prepares for new refugees ahead of Mosul assault

Iraq prepares for new wave of refugees during offensive to expel DAESH from Mosul

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

Iraqi soldiers stand guard before going to the Makhmur District of Mosul to take part in an operation aiming retake the city from DAESH, on February 21, 2016.

Updated Mar 10, 2016

A senior Iraqi official said on Wednesday that Iraqi authorities are preparing for a new wave of refugees following an anticipated offensive to retake the city of Mosul.

"Iraqi authorities have decided to set up three refugee camps on the outskirts of Mosul," Noureddin Qablan, deputy chief of Nineveh city council, said.

"We wanted to take all the necessary measures to avoid a repetition of past tragedies."

Iraq is preparing to launch an offensive to root out the DAESH terror group from the country’s second-largest city which has been controlled by the group since 2014.

Recently DAESH terrorists moved their headquarters to residential areas in Mosul, the deputy chief said.

"The Iraqi air force has dropped leaflets calling on Mosul residents to avoid terrorist areas and provide help to security forces," Qablan said.

The Iraqi military mobilised troops last month near Mosul as part of a government plan to recapture city from DAESH.

The leader of the Iraqi Turkmen Front (ITF), who is also a deputy in the Parliament of the Iraqi Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG), Aydin Maruf stated on Monday that the US-led coalition has plans to build a 15,000-strong military force in order to reclaim Mosul and Talafer from the DAESH terrorist group.


TRTWorld and agencies