Several areas have witnessed heavy clashes as Iraqi forces expand their offensive to retake Iraq's western Anbar province. It was reported on Monday that ISIS killed dozens of Iraqi forces as clashes continued to push into the province.
Three car bombs in nortwest Ramadi, the capital of Anbar, killed at least 18 Iraqi forces and members of the Popular Mobilisation Forces on Monday. Military sources said that at least seven ISIS members have been killed.
Karim al Nouri, a spokesman for the Popular Mobilisation Forces, said that retaking Anbar has been difficult, but the Iraqi forces made progress advancing towards Ramadi.
"We entered from near Fallujah and pushed northwest of the city. We lost forces along the way but the army and several government hospitals have been a great help," al Nouri told Al Jazeera.
"Our aim is to trap ISIL [ISIS], and it is no longer about who outnumbers who - it's about the type of weapons being used and we are prepared."
Al Nouri said that the operation has been carried out by many Iraqi soldiers, mobilisation forces and tribal forces.
More than 50 soldiers of the Iraqi forces were killed on Friday after ISIS ambushed the Iraqi forces and loyalists, west of Ramadi.
ISIS had captured Ramadi and most of Anbar in early May. The Iraqi forces and loyalists launched an offensive to retake Anbar province in July. Since then, the forces have been attempting to enter the province from several points.
As of the beginning of 2014, Anbar province has witnessed many clashes after ISIS launched an offensive to advance through northern Iraq.
The Iraqi government has been carrying out large military operations with the help of the US-led coalition, which has been conducting daily air strikes in efforts to retake lost areas.