Iraqi forces suffer heavy losses: 82 dead, 85 injured

Iraqi officials say security forces face heavy losses in one day after two separate attacks by ISIS

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Updated Jul 28, 2015

Iraq’s security forces said on Monday at least 82 people were killed and 85 others were injured in two separate attacks which were conducted by ISIS militants in Anbar province and Tharthara area.

ISIS’ Anbar attack, which targeted the Third Brigade headquarters in north Fallujah, left 37 people dead and another 55 wounded, said an Iraqi police official, adding all the victims and injured were members of the Iraqi security forces, including senior officers.

"The explosion led to the destruction of 12 police vehicles and the destruction of large parts of the building,” he said.

“The attack led to large financial and human losses on the part of the Iraqi forces.”

Anbar, Iraq’s westernmost province, is home to a Sunni majority which has been entrenched in continuous violent clashes since ISIS fighters crossed over the Syrian border last June.

Fighting in Anbar reached new heights last month after ISIS had captured Anbar’s capital city of Ramadi from local defenders on May 17, after calls by police for military reinforcements went unheeded.

“The explosive-laden army vehicle was an army personnel  carrier,” said the officer to Anadolu Agency, asking condition of anonymity since he was not authorised.

Another deadly attack took place in Tharthara area, west of Samarra city, earlier in the day, killing at least 45 people and wounding another 30 after a military tank exploded inside an army warehouse.


TRTWorld and agencies