ISIS affiliate in Egypt responsible for Israel rocket attack

The self proclaimed Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS) allies Sinai Province claim responsibility for rocket attacks on Israeli territory

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Updated Jul 28, 2015

A group affiliated with the ISIS, Sinai Province (as also known as Ansar Bait al Maqdis), announced that they fired three rockets into Israel from Egypt's Sinai Peninsula.

Sinai Province swore allegiance to ISIS last year. The announcement came in a statement published on the group's Twitter page.

The group said that it fired Grad rockets into "occupied Palestine" in response to “Israel backing the Egyptian army.”

Israel announced that the two missiles landed near the Negev region without causing either casualties or material losses. An IDF source said the missile was launched from the Sinai Peninsula bordering Israel and Gaza.

“Code Red” sirens were heard in the Eshkol region located north of Negev near the Palestinian Gaza Strip.

The Egyptian Army has said it will continue operations in the Sinai until it is cleared of all militants affiliated with ISIS, after Wednesday witnessed a bloody rampage by the group through the town of Sheikh Zuwaid in an attack that killed more than a 100 people.

Israel accuses Hamas, which controls the Gaza Strip, of providing support for the ISIS allied Sinai Province militants, though Hamas strongly denies such allegations.

The IDF has closed a southern highway, part of which runs along the Egyptian border, as a safety precaution.

TRTWorld and agencies