At least 28 people were killed and about 75 wounded in two bombings targeting a mosque in a northern district of the Yemeni capital Sanaa on Wednesday.
According to Yemeni officials, a suicide bomber blew himself up inside the mosque during the evening call to prayer, while a car bomb exploded outside the entrance.
Following the incident, the Yemeni branch of ISIS claimed responsibility for two bombings.
Witnesses who talked to the Associated Press news agency said the car bomb exploded while people were carrying the wounded out from inside the mosque, adding to the casualties.
Meanwhile, medical officials said the death toll may rise with people now in operating rooms in several hospitals.
Yemeni officials stated that the attack happened at Al-Muayd Mosque in al-Garaf district, which is believed to be a stronghold of the Shia Houthi militia.
Earlier on Wednesday, two Red Cross aid workers were were shot dead in the northern Yemeni province of Amran by unknown assailants.
On July 20, another ISIS bomb attack hit the Moeed Mosque in Sanaa that killed at least five people.
Yemen descended into chaos last September when the Iranian-back Shiite Houthi militias overran the capital Sanaa. Earlier this year, the militia also managed to capture Yemen’s southern Aden province, from which Hadi – along with most of his government – fled to Saudi Arabia.
Saudi-led air strikes on Yemen started in March, when exiled President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi called on Arab countries to help "save Yemen" after Houthi rebels overran the capital.
The UN has declared Yemen a level-three humanitarian emergency, the highest on the scale, after about 80 percent of the country’s population became in dire need of humanitarian aid.
Twenty million people in Yemen are in need of aid, with 13 million facing food shortages and 9.4 million having difficulty accessing drinking water.