ISIS claims attack on Italian Embassy in Cairo

ISIS claims responsibility for fatal attack that damaged Italian Embassy in Egyptian capital

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Updated Jul 28, 2015

An attack on the Italian Embassy in Cairo on Saturday that cost one person’s life and left several others injured has been claimed by ISIS. The attack on Italian embassy was said to be part of the militant group’s offensive action against Western targets.  

A statement by the ministry of health stated that policemen and civilians were amongst the injured in the bombing attack.

A Twitter account that is linked to ISIS said that Muslims should stay away from sites that are “legitimate targets” for strikes.

The damage to the building was severe. The main entrance of the building was almost destroyed, windows were shattered and the building was flooded after water pipes ruptured.

Italy’s foreign minister Paolo Gentiloni tweeted that “Italy will not let itself be intimidated,” and he also added in a tweet that there had been no Italian casualties.

After the attack, Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi spoke to Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al Sisi and assured that the two countries would stand together “in the fight against terrorism and fanaticism.”

The casualty numbers would have been much high if the bombing had been done on a working day. The attack raised eyebrows as to the abilities of security forces members on securing foreign diplomatic missions in Egypt.

Last month the country’s public prosecutor, Hisham Barakat, was killed by a car bomb in Cairo. In the same month, another car bomb targeting a police station killed three people.  

Egypt’s battle against ISIS has been mostly confined to the Sinai Peninsula. The group has killed at least 600 police and armed forces personnel in the past two years. The group has stepped up their attacks after a military coup on Egypt’s first ever democratically elected President Mohammed Morsi in July 2013.