Israel jails far right Jewish settler over arson attack

Israeli authorities jail far right Jewish settler over arson attack on Palestinian family which burned 18-month-old Palestinian boy alive

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

A suspected far right Jewish settler was jailed without trial on Tuesday following the deadly arson attack on a Palestinian home, burning  an 18-month-old Palestinian boy alive.

The suspect, Mordechai Meyer lives in a Jewish settlement in the occupied lands of West Bank.

Israel's Defence Ministry announced in a statement that Meyer was arrested and placed under “administrative detention” for six months.

The statement accused him of "involvement in violent activity and recent terrorist attacks as part of a Jewish terror group."

The arrest is the first of the measures taken against a citizen in a crackdown ordered by the government after Friday’s torching of a Palestinian home in West Bank.

Two other Israelis believed to have connection with far-right Jewish groups, Meir Ettinger and Eviatar Salonim, were also arrested this week.

The Palestinian government filed a formal report on Monday with the International Criminal Court at the Hague over the death of the 18-month-old toddler, Palestine's Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced earlier.

“Jewish Settler Terrorism” is the title of the report that was handed over to prosecutor Fatou Bensouda, Foreign Minister Riad al Malki said in a statement.

Malki said the document is “focusing on the arson but also including details of other attacks on Palestinians by Jewish settlers - was prepared on the orders of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.”

The slain toddler, Ali Saeed Dawabsheh, was burned to death when Jewish settlers torched his family home in a village near the West Bank city of Nablus on Friday.

His parents and brother were also seriously injured.

The same settlers also sprayed graffiti on the house, in an example of the infamous “price tag” tactic, with words written in the Hebrew language translated as “revenge” and “long live the Messiah,” according to reports.

The Israeli Army called the assault “Jewish terror.”

The father of the dead infant, Saeed Dawabsheh, was able to rescue his wife Reham and his 4-year-old son Ahmed but was unable to save Ali, the toddler, due to the lack of time that was available before the whole house collapsed.



TRTWorld, Reuters