Israel razes homes of two Palestinians

Israeli military says it has demolished homes of two Palestinians who allegedly killed five people in attacks

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

An Israeli excavator partially demolishes a Palestinian house in the West Bank village of Dier Samit, south of Hebron February 23, 2016.

The Israeli military announced on Tuesday it razed the homes of two Palestinians who allegedly killed five people during attacks in the occupied West Bank and Israel last year.

The military stated the demolished homes in the West Bank belong to Raid Halil and Mohammed al-Haroub.

Both Palestinians allegedly organised two separate attacks in the same day last November. The Israeli military claimed one person stabbed and killed two Israelis in a Tel Aviv office while the other opened fire on cars in the West Bank and killed one Israeli, an American student and a Palestinian.

Both Palestinians were arrested.

Since Oct. 1 of last year, Israeli security forces have killed at least 180 Palestinians, mostly after allegedly attempting attacks on Israelis or in clashes with Israeli forces, the Palestinian Health Ministry said. Many of the alleged Palestinian attackers were teenagers.

During the same period of time at least 30 Israelis and foreigners have also been killed.

Tensions have been stoked by factors including a dispute over Jerusalem's Al Aqsa Mosque compound and the failure of several rounds of peace talks to create an independent Palestine in currently Israeli-occupied territory.

Palestinian leaders have said that with no breakthrough on the horizon, desperate youngsters see no future ahead. Israel says young Palestinians are being incited to violence by their leaders and by groups calling for Israel's destruction

TRTWorld and agencies