Israeli couple shot dead in West Bank

Israeli couple shot dead while travelling in their car with their children in occupied West Bank, Israel increases security forces

An Israeli couple, Eitam and Naama Henkin, was shot dead on Thursday by Palestinians while they were travelling between Elon Moreh and Itamar in their car in the occupied West Bank, Israeli defence forces said.

The couple, who were also residents of the West Bank, had their four children aging between four months to nine years old with them during the attack. The kids were lightly injured.

The security forces rushed to the field and the army said that they launched an operation to find “those responsible for this heinous and barbaric attack.”

Hamas, on the other hand, said that the “operation was in response to the crimes of the Zionists."

Israel has been occupying West Bank since the Six-Day War in 1967. The occupation is seen illegal by the international community and law since then.

A group of young Israelis, some covered, gathered at the area and threw stones at Palestinians’ vehicles, according to the Israeli media.

Israel decided to increase its security forces in West Bank with four new brigades during the meeting in the evening.

In the meantime, Palestinian People’s Defense Committees in the West Bank asked Palestinians to protect their villages and mobilise against attacks from Israelis, through loudspeakers and social media.

The Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had said during the UN General Assembly that he “was prepared to immediately resume direct peace negotiations with the Palestinians without any preconditions whatsoever."

The Palestinian side demands, however, the end of settlements in occupied West Bank and the release of their prisoners.

Following the attack, Israeli Education Minister Naftali Bennett said "the time for talking [with the Palestinians] is over."  

He said "It is time to act," and that "people whose leaders support the murder will never be a state."


TRTWorld and agencies