Israeli PM threatens MP visiting families of 'attackers'

Israeli Prime Minister demands Arab-Israeli lawmakers who visited families of alleged Palestinian ‘attackers’ to be banned from parliament

Photo by: AFP (Archive)
Photo by: AFP (Archive)

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a ceremony on Nov. 5, 2014.

Updated Feb 8, 2016

Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, has called Arab-Israeli MP visiting families of alleged Palestinian “attackers” to be banned from parliament

Netanyahu blamed three Arab-Israeli lawmakers on Sunday over “going to console the families of murderers" and rejected to integrate them into the Israeli community.

"I would like to examine new and reinforced legislative changes to ensure that anyone who acts in this direction will not serve in the Israeli Knesset [Israeli Parliament]," he said.

"I think this is an important statement as to what kind of society we want," Netanyahu added.

The Israeli government often accuses Palestinian politicians and Arab-Israeli lawmakers of “provoking" the recent series of violence that has cost the life of 30 Israelis and foreigners, while more than 160 Palestinians have been shot dead by Israeli Forces, since Oct. 1, 2015.

Arab-Israeli lawmaker Haneen Zoabi responded to the criticisms from Israeli’s last week, over his recent meeting with the families of alleged attackers. She has continues to say that the alleged attackers were "defending national and human dignity."

She has criticised and let on the Israeli policy of keeping the bodies of Palestinians killed in the series of alleged assaults.

The Times of Israel said on Sunday that an Israeli court had punished Zoabi -- one of the Israeli parliament’s most outspoken Arab members -- with a six-month suspended prison sentence and a $750 fine for “humbling" Israeli police officers of Arab origin.

Last December, a number of right-wing Israeli politicians, who are under the leadership of controversial ex-Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman, tried Zoabi and her Balad party to moved away from the Israeli Parliament.

The parliament accepted measures that would let Israeli Forces to strip search -including the removal of all their clothes- for anyone who was considered to be "suspicious."

Other affirmed measures include; allowing Israeli forces to commence fire over protesters who throw stones, longer jail sentence for non-adults, accused of stone-throwing, pulling down the homes of Palestinian suspects and attackers along with holding of the bodies of Palestinians killed.

During the recent incidents, most of the Palestinians killed have been teenagers as young as 12-years-old, some of whom were killed by armed Israeli civilians and others by Israeli Security Forces who allege Palestinians with attempting attacks.

Palestinians say that the recent violence is the result of frustration from nearly half-a-century of occupation and they accuse Israel of using excessive force to suppress the unrest, while Israel says the unrest has been caused by a provocation surrounding the holy site of Al Aqsa Mosque compound.

Palestinian authorities say that the younger generation has no hope for their future, living under tight Israeli security measures.

TRTWorld and agencies