Israeli soldiers batter Palestinian toddler during raid

Israeli soldiers use force against two-and-half-year-old boy during raid of his family's house

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

The picture shows a Palestinian toddler scratched from his head, standing in the living room with broken window.

Israeli soldiers detained all members of a Palestinian family living in East Jerusalem neighbourhood Al Issawiya on Sunday after using force against two-and-half-year-old boy who was barefoot and in his pajamas, and making them to stand in front of police station for hours.

The Darwish family said on Tuesday that Israeli soldiers have used pepper spray inside their house and also hit several of their family members.

"One of my sons was sleeping, they seized him and started banging his head against the wall for no reason," said the child's mother, Tahrir Darwish.

“I ran to the room to get my two-and-half-year-old child [Darwish] and one of the soldiers followed me, grabbed my child by his foot and threw him to the ground," the mother added.

She also said that when she has returned to the living room holding her youngest son, she saw the soldiers were beating her husband, another son and daughter.

"One of the soldiers put my baby under my body and stood on me for more than 10 minutes," she said.

The family said they had their hands bound and were kept in the living room until more soldiers arrived and made them walk a kilometer barefoot and blindfolded to a car park used by Israeli soldiers.

"We stayed there until five in the morning, in the meantime female soldiers beat my daughters, while male soldiers beat my sons and husband," Tahrir said.

"My father arrived two hours after we reached the car park and my toddler ran to him shouting: 'grandfather… grandfather, soldiers beat my mother and sprayed gas in my mouth’," she added.

Israeli media said that the family has attacked the soldiers and the soldiers managed to pacify the attackers.

Tarek Darwish, the Palestinian father refused soldiers to detain their 17-year-old son Laith Darwish unless they showed a search warrant, reportedly for stone-throwing.

Eventually, the soldiers were taken to a police station in East Jerusalem where the family was held the whole day for interrogations, Tarek told.

"Laith was taken by the Israelis, we asked about him with the Israeli police and army several times but they refuse to tell us where he is," he added.

Israeli police released all members of the family except Laith.

The family said they were left in shock by the raid and two of their daughters have since refused to go to school because of their experience.

TRTWorld and agencies