Israeli soldiers seen beating, arresting Palestinian youth

B'Tselem releases video showing Israeli soldiers violently beating, arresting Palestinian youth wrongfully accused of throwing stones

Photo by: AP
Photo by: AP

Footage from video showing the Palestinian being dragged by Israeli soldiers out of the room on October 6 2015

A video released on Friday by Israeli Human Rights Group, B'Tselem, shows security camera footage of Israeli soldiers violently beating and then detaining a Palestinian youth, Ansar Aasi, who was wrongfully accused of throwing stones.

The video begins with Aasi standing near the entrance of the storage room of the cleaning company where he works in al Bireh, a town near Ramallah in the occupied West Bank.

The 25-year-old, dressed in blue jeans and a red T-shirt, is seen carrying boxes inside the narrow room before Israeli soldiers spot him and storm in.

The event took place on Oct. 6, 2015.

"I raised my hand and told them I didn't do anything, but they beat me everywhere," Aasi told the AP news agency.

The soldiers begin to physically beat him with their rifles, kicking him while he was on the ground, before dragging him by his foot out of the room and arresting him.

B'Tselem stated that due to the ill treatment, Aasi was in need of medical assistance and was then taken to Hadassah Ein Karem Hospital on October 7.

Israeli authorities then held him in detention for two days before questioning him, the group reported.

Aasi denied allegations of him being involved in throwing stones and reportedly offered an alibi, which the rights group claim were ignored, until he was taken to the Ofer Military Court where the video documenting his arrest was screened.

"Police interrogators there told him that three soldiers identified him as a stone thrower. In spite of his denials, the police did not bother to check his alibi claim, in spite of the existence of footage," B'Tselem said in a statement.

By the time Aasi’s alibi was checked and approved by Israeli police, he had spent another three days in detention.

Aasi reiterated that he was not involved in any kind of violence.

"From the beginning I told the investigators that I didn’t throw any stones and that I have proof, but they took their time before looking into it, and I sat in detention for six days for no reason. It was a nightmare," he said.

"They took me to some place, I didn't know where. It was very cold and I was wearing a t-shirt. I haven't slept for days because of the injuries," he added.

The IDF (Israel Defense Forces) said in response that "an initial investigation of the event indicates the soldiers' behavior was incongruent with what is expected of an IDF soldier. The incident is being examined by commanders and disciplinary action will be taken according to its results."

TRTWorld and agencies