Italy stands with Egypt ‘against terrorism’

Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi says Italy stands with Egypt in fight against terrorism, Foreign Minister says Italy not intimidated following consulate attack

Photo by: AFP
Photo by: AFP

Updated Jul 28, 2015

Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi told Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el Sisi following the bomb blast at the Italian consulate in Cairo, on Saturday, that the two countries would stand together "in the fight against terrorism and fanaticism."

Sinai Province, which is also known as Ansar Bait al Maqdis, claimed responsibility for the bomb blast on Saturday, after it detonated 450 kg of explosives loaded into a vehicle early in the morning at the Italian consulate in one of Cairo’s busiest sections.

Sinai Province, or Ansar Bait al Maqdis, is the Egyptian affiliate of ISIS.

Soon after the attack, Italian Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni wrote on his twitter account, "Our Cairo consulate has been bombed. There were no Italian victims. We stand close to the people affected and to the staff.”

“Italy will not be intimidated" he added.

Egyptian Prime Minister Ibrahim Mehlab, responded to the attack saying, “We are at war.”

The consulate building was destroyed, and one person was killed, with eight others injured in the attack, according to Egyptian officials.

The blast managed to wreck underground water pipes, flooding the area.

According to Cairo-based journalist Alessandro Accorsi, four foreign journalists were temporarily detained as they tried to report the incident, but later released by the police.

The car detonated on the move when it exploded in front of the Italian consulate on one of Cairo’s oldest streets according to the Civil Protection authorities.

Earlier in June, Hisham Barakat, the prosecutor handling the crackdown on the Muslim Brotherhood was also killed in a car bomb, that had come shortly after the Sinai province group called for targeting the judiciary.

TRTWorld and agencies