Kuwait breaks up international cell that supports DAESH

Kuwaiti Interior Ministry says they busted international cell from various nationalities that supports DAESH financially, logistically

Photo by: AFP
Photo by: AFP

Kuwaiti security forces gather outside the mosque after it was targeted by a suicide bombing during Friday prayers, in Kuwait City, on June 26, 2015.

The Kuwaiti Interior Ministry said on Thursday that security authorities have busted an international cell, which was supporting DAESH financially and logistically.

The cell was providing air defence systems to DAESH, which has carried out deadly attacks in Lebanon and Paris last week.

DAESH declared a caliphate in 2014, announcing the Syrian city of Raqqa as its capital.

According to the Kuwaiti State News Agency, the cell’s chief, a Lebanese man named Osama Khayat, confessed that he raised funds to support the group and recruit fighters. Moreover, he arranged arms deals including rockets from Ukraine and shipped them to DAESH.

Al Jazeera said the ministry gave no information about if the arms were seized. 

Other members of the cell were also arrested, one Syrian, one Egyptian and a Kuwaiti. Four other members were from outside Kuwait, two Syrians and two Australians of Lebanese origin are still at large.

In June, a DAESH-affiliated group in Arabian Peninsula calling itself Najd Province had claimed responsibility for a suicide bombing in Kuwait, targeting and killing 77 people.

Later the court sentenced seven people to death for the attack. Eight others were jailed for providing help to the Saudi suicide bomber.

In the same context, five men were sentenced by a lower court to 10 years in jail for raising 400,000 Kuwaiti dinars ($1.3m) and sending them to DAESH.

TRTWorld and agencies