A newspaper in Kuwait reported on Monday that 60 Lebanese individuals would be deported from the country for alleged links to Hezbollah in the latest Gulf Arab move against the Shiite militant group.
Those 60 Lebanese people all had permanent residency which have been revoked, Al-Qabas newspaper said adding that those described as “dangerous cases” were given just two days to leave the country.
Earlier this month, Hezbollah was listed as a “terrorist” organisation by Gulf Arab states. Kuwait has since begun deportations.
Last week, 11 Lebanese and three Iraqis had been also deported for alleged links to the Lebanese militant group, according to the newspaper.
Listing Hezbollah as a “terrorist” group was the latest move by Gulf states, led by Saudi Arabia against the group, which is the leading force in Lebanon's governing bloc which is backed by Riyadh's Shiite rival Tehran.
Saudi Arabia suspended a $4 billion programme of military aid to Lebanon to protest what it said was "the stranglehold of Hezbollah on the state" last month. It also warned its citizens to leave Lebanon and not to travel there.
Kuwait and Qatar also made similar travel advisories as the United Arab Emirates banned its nationals from travelling to Lebanon.
Hezbollah militant group is fighting in support of the Syrian regime leader Bashar al Assad against opposition forces in Syria.
Other Gulf states also took similar measures against alleged Hezbollah supporters since the terror listing.
Bahrain announced that it had deported several Lebanese residents for suspected links to the Hezbollah.
A Shiite preacher accused of glorifying the group was arrested by Saudi security forces last week, the kingdom’s newspaper reported.
The UAE also reported that seven people were put on trial for allegedly forming a cell linked to Hezbollah.
About 50,000 Lebanese live and work in the oil-rich emirate, providing remittances that are vital to the domestic economy.