Mother of Palestinian toddler killed in arson attack dies

Mother of Palestinian toddler killed in settler arson attack in July died of wounds she sustained in attack

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Mourners carry the body of Saad Dawabsheh during his funeral in Duma village near the West Bank city of Nablus August 8, 2015.

Mother of Palestinian toddler, who was killed in an arson attack in July, died on Monday of burns she sustained in the incident that killed her infant child.

The mother, Riham Dawabsheh (27) is the third victim after her husband similarly died last month of burn wounds. "To my regret, she passed away after midnight," a spokeswoman said.

The 18-months-old toddler, Ali Saad Dawabsheh was burnt to death when illegal Jewish settlers torched his family home in Duma village near the West Bank city of Nablus on July 31.

Saad Dawabsheh, the toddler’s father died on August 9.

The same illegal settlers also graffitied the house using the infamous “price tag” tactic with words written in the Hebrew language that translated to “revenge” and “long live the Messiah,” according to reports.

Burnt residence of Palestinian family in Duma, West bank, July 31, 2015.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu labeled the attack as “act of terrorism.” Netanyahu’s security cabinet has ordered a crackdown on far-right Jewish groups that commit similar deadly arson attacks.

Four-year-old brother of the slaın toddler, Ahmed, is the only survivor of the arson attack but he remains in serious condition. 

Palestinian government had filed a formal report early in August for the death of the toddler to the International Criminal Court at The Hague, the foreign ministry said.

“Jewish settler terrorism” was the headline of the report, handed over to prosecutor Fatou Bensouda, Foreign Minister Riad al Malki said in a statement.

Malki met with Bensouda to follow up on preliminary examinations into the situation in the occupied territories, Palestinian news agency WAFA reported.

"Focusing on the arson but also including details of other attacks on Palestinians by Jewish settlers - the document was prepared on the orders of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas” Malki said.


TRTWorld and agencies