Israeli opposition leader and member of parliament Isaac Herzog warned of a new round of confrontation between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza Strip on Tuesday, saying it was only a "matter of a few months" before another military standoff between the arch-foes, AA reported.
"Hamas continues to dig more tunnels under the borders in order to attack Israeli citizens," Herzog, leader of the opposition Zionist Union alliance, said during a meeting with Norwegian Foreign Minister Borge Brende.
“The next war with Hamas is only a few months away unless the European Union steps in to promote the immediate demilitarization of the Gaza Strip,” Herzog said.
Herzog also criticized the new Israeli government of Likud leader Benjamin Netanyahu, saying “the composition of the incoming cabinet would not allow for serious efforts to reach a peace agreement that would provide security for the citizens of Israel."
Last month Israeli defense minister Moshe Ya'alon said that the IDF has not yet seen any tunnels which have crossed into Israel but that "we are prepared for the possibility that somebody will try to come out of an opening in the ground and we will have to discover him."
Nevertheless, Gaza Division officers have reported seeing digging close to the Israeli border, some just a kilometer and a half from the border.
In July and August of last year, Israel launched weeks-long offensive on the Gaza Strip with the stated aim of staunching rocket fire from the blockaded coastal enclave.
Over 2,160 Palestinians, mostly civilians, were killed – and some 11,000 injured – in the offensive, which finally ended with a cease-fire deal signed in Cairo.
At least 73 Israelis – 68 soldiers and five civilians – were also killed during the conflict, which also saw 2,522 Israelis injured, including 740 military personnel.