Nigeria, Boko Haram to negotiate release of 200 girls

Nigerian president said his country is ready to negotiate release of 200 schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Agents of the drug law enforcement agency are seen during the visit of Mrs Roli Bode-George, acting Chairman of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) in Kano, Nigeria December 29, 2015.

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari said on Wednesday that his government is willing to negotiate with Boko Haram militants to secure the release of around 200 schoolgirls kidnapped last year.

Buhari said if credible leaders are identified within Boko Haram, then a communication rapport will be extended for the sake of the girls.

"We are prepared to negotiate with them without any preconditions," Buhari told journalists in a televised interview.

Boko Haram kidnapped the schoolgirls from their dormitories in the northeastern town of Chibok in April 2014, sparking international outrage and ‘Bring back our girls’ campaign.

The whereabouts of the kidnapped girls are still unclear, and only about 50 are accounted for so far. There is no information regarding whether or not they are still alive.

Boko Haram was formed in 2009, and has killed hundreds of innocent civilians through the years in numerous African countries including Chad and Cameroon, the militant group swore allegiance to DAESH in 2014.

TRTWorld and agencies