Nigeria has charged over 300 firms and prominent individuals, including serving and retired military officers, over millions of dollars going missing amid corruption scandals, the country’s presidency reported on Thursday.
Faked contracts have been linked to former national security adviser Sambo Dasuki, who served under former president Goodluck Jonathan from June 2012 until his sacking by recent President Muhammadu Buhari.
A separate committee was set up to investigate other deals awarded by Dasuki between 2011 and 2015.
"Over seven billion naira ($5 million) has been recovered so far from the indicted companies and individuals," the presidency said in a statement, adding that another 41 billion naira is due to be paid back soon.
"The committee further established that one of the indicted companies, Societe D'Equipment International was overpaid to the tune of 7.9 million euros and $7.09 million," it said.
The statement said that contracts were awarded under Dasuki "without any contractual agreement or evidence of jobs executed."
"The committee further discovered that some companies failed to meet up their tax obligations for contracts executed."
President Buhari took office last May and has since launched a crackdown on endemic graft with some high-profile arrests made over the faked arms contracts to fight Boko Haram worth some $2 billion and also linked to the former spy chief.