Nigeria forms military force against Boko Haram

Nigeria and its neighbours agree to form military force to fight against Boko Haram militants

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Updated Jul 28, 2015

Nigeria has said it aims to tackle the Boko Haram insurgency setting up a military force with its neighbours.

President Muhammadu Buhari said on Thursday Nigeria pledges $100 million to form a regional force against Boko Haram militants.

“Our campaign against Boko Haram must be seen within the wider context of the global war against terror,” he told reporters in the capital, Abuja.

“Terrorism has no frontiers and must, because of the great implication for regional and global peace and security, be defeated,” he said.

Buhari’s comments followed his meeting with the presidents of Chad, Niger, Benin and the defence minister of Cameroon in Abuja.

He asked the leaders to support Nigeria in a bid to control the force throughout the campaign against militants.

A joint force in the Chad capital Ndjamena will be ready by July 3, a statement from his office said.

The five-nation military coalition, known as Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF), was first agreed upon in May last year, following the kidnapping of more than 200 schoolgirls by Boko Haram in northeast Nigeria.

Nigeria faces a six-year insurgency which has resulted in thousands of death, with millions of people displaced across the region and in neighbouring Chad, Niger and Cameroon.

TRTWorld and agencies