Nigerian army frees 20 women, children from Boko Haram

Nigerian army says 20 women and children rescued from Boko Haram, killing scores of militants

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Updated Jul 28, 2015

Nigerian military said on Saturday 20 women and children were rescued in an operation in the Sambisa forest in which scores of Boko Haram militants were killed.

Major General Chris Olukolade said one soldier was also killed by a landmine in the operation and 10 others were injured.

Nigeria has been fighting against Boko Haram for six years. Boko Haram has killed thousands and kidnapped hundreds during the six-year campaign to carve out state in northern Nigeria, capturing vast amount of land.

However, Nigerian army’s efforts help the country repel Boko Haram from most of the territory it controlled in the past few months with the help of soldiers provided by neighbouring Chad, Niger, and Cameroon.

Olukolade said the Friday’s operation was still ongoing.

"Troops have forged ahead with the ongoing offensive operations as scores of the terrorists died in the assault on their bases," Olukolade said.

"A total of 20 women and children were rescued.”

Nigerian army said it rescued more than 700 women from Boko Haram militants recently, but the 219 female Chibok students who were kidnapped from the Government Secondary School in the Nigerian town of Chibok last year, were not among them.

TRTWorld and agencies