Nigerian Army tells Boko Haram to "surrender"

Nigerian Army says closing in on Boko Haram militants after deadly explosions kill dozens in Chad

Photo by: AFP (Archive)
Photo by: AFP (Archive)

Nigerian Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Kenneth Minimah (C) visits troops near Pulka, on the frontline in Borno State, northeast Nigeria.

The Nigerian Military reported on Sunday it was closing in on Boko Haram militants and warned the insurgents of facing serious consequences if they failed to “surrender”.

The statement released on Sunday appealed to all Nigerians to persuade the insurgents to desist and renounce their membership of the Boko Haram group. 

"They should follow their colleagues who have so far surrendered. Failure to surrender will result in serious consequences as our troops are fast closing up on them," army spokesman Colonel Sani Usman said in a statement. 

“We wish to inform them that we are aware of all their hideouts, camps and enclaves," said the statement posted on the Army’s official twitter account.  

Nigerian Army has claimed that more than 200 members of the militant group surrendered last month following the troop’s success to regained control of the northwest town of Banki, one of the Boko Haram’s stronghold near Cameroon.  

There was no independent confirmation of the military's statement. 

Boko Haram has denied that its members have surrendered.

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has set a three-month deadline to the military commanders to end Boko Haram insurgency, which killed at least 17,000 dead since 2009, mostly in the northeast affected states of Nigeria: Borno, Adamawa and Yobe. 

The Army has carried out intense operations against Boko Haram recently, including the rescue of the 241 women and children. 

But the militants struck again this weekend, with 41 people killed on Saturday and 48 were wounded in a triple explosion in Chad. N’Djamena blamed Boko Haram for the attack.

In another statement, the Military also vowed to rescue the abducted girls kidnapped in Chibok on April 14 last year.

"The search for abducted Chibok school girls and the rescue of other Nigerians in hostage has never relapsed...," military spokesman Colonel Rabe Abubakar said in the statement.

"The military has and will continue to sustain the operation until the entire northeast is cleared of all terrorists and miscreants," it added.




TRTWorld and agencies