One Palestinian killed, hundreds injured in West Bank

Palestinian teenager killed and over 200 others injured in clashes between Palestinian protesters and Israeli security forces

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

An Israeli soldier throws a sound grenade towards Palestinians during clashes near the Jewish settlement of Bet El, near the occupied West Bank city of Ramallah October 4, 2015.

A Palestinian teenager was killed by Israeli policemen at the Tulkarm checkpoint, and more than 200 Palestinians were injured as clashes between Palestinians and Israeli security forces and the illegal Jewish settlers continued in the occupied West Bank on Sunday.

The teenager’s name was Huthaifa Suleiman, he was 18 years old and was allegedly throwing primitive homemade fire bombs during the clashes.

The fierce clashes that killed young Suleiman took place when Palestinians, who do not reside in Jerusalem’s Old City, have been barred from entering the area for two days.

An Israeli police officer fires tear gas during clashes with Palestinian stone-throwers in the East Jerusalem neighbourhood of Issawiya October 4, 2015.

Denying Palestinians into the old city, a move described as "racist and illegal" by Hamas, was a decision taken by the Israeli side after two Israelis were stabbed to death by a Palestinian man in the district on Saturday.

Sunday’s clashes took place in Jenin, the occupied West Bank and the East Jerusalem neighbourhood of Issawiya. Live ammunition and rubber-coated bullets were used against Palestinian protesters by Israeli security forces, the Palestinian Red Crescent Society (PRCS) said.

PRCS said almost 400 people have been injured, including 150 suffering from bullet wounds. A state of emergency was declared in the West Bank and East Jerusalem by PRCS, in response to what it said as "attacks by occupation forces and settlers."

An Israeli border policeman aims his weapon during clashes with Palestinians near the Jewish settlement of Bet El, near the occupied West Bank city of Ramallah October 4, 2015.

"[The] PRCS underlines that these practices constitute a blatant violation of key IHL [International humanitarian law] provisions, mainly the Fourth Geneva Convention of 1949 on the protection of civilians in time of war," PRCS’ statement read.

Saturday’s stabbing incident

Palestinian teen Muhannad Halabi, 19-years-old was shot dead by Israeli border police after killing two Israelis and injuring another two in a knife attack on Saturday in Jerusalem's Old City, police said.

Halabi stabbed a man, two women and a toddler on Saturday night amid growing violence in East Jerusalem and occupied West Bank. One woman was in critical condition and the toddler was slightly wounded, police said. Two Israeli men later died of their wounds.

"We are deep inside a wave of terror and incitement," Israeli Intelligence Minister Yisrael Katz told Channel Two's Meet the Press show.

Halabi was from Al Bireh, a Palestinian city close to Ramallah in the central West Bank, 15km north of Jerusalem.

Palestinian armed group Islamic Jihad, issued a statement claiming the attacker was a member of the group.

Israeli security personnel stand next to the body of a Palestinian man who was shot dead after he stabbed and killed two people in Jerusalem's Old City October 3, 2015.

"The terrorist approached a group of Jews, whipped out a knife and began stabbing," police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said.

Jerusalem Police Chief, Moshe Edri said the Palestinian man "stabbed an Israeli man, his wife and the toddler" several times in an alleyway before stabbing another man.

Halabi took a gun from one of the wounded people and fired several shots at police and tourists before being killed by Israeli police.

The victims were passing near the entrance of the Al Aqsa Mosque compound. After the attack, Israeli soldiers raided Al Aqsa Mosque and arrested at least 40 people.

TRTWorld and agencies