Palestinian medical and security sources reported that a Palestinian man was killed on Monday after a tunnel that he was trying to restore collapsed near Gaza’s border with Egypt.
The total number of Palestinians killed in tunnel collapses in the last two weeks rose to 10 following the death of 24-year-old Musa Jaber al-Maadi from the southern Gazan town of Rafah.
According to Palestinian security officials Maadi was killed “as a result of a collapse of a mass of sand” inside the tunnel which was used to bring basic commodities like construction material, food and fuel into blockaded Gaza Strip.
Officials stated that the victim had been trying to restore the damage occurred after Egypt flooded the tunnel on Saturday.
Israeli Energy Minister Yuval Steinitz has said that Egypt flooded a large part of the tunnels on its border with Gaza Strip at Israel’s request, calling the move a “good solution.”
However, an Israeli spokesperson said on Sunday that Steinitz’s remarks were misinterpreted.
Israeli and Egyptian army forces have been destroying the tunnels which Israel says could be used by Hamas to carry out attacks against Israel.
An Israeli blockade already severely restricts the movement of people and goods into and out of the territory, and Egypt's sole border with Gaza has also remained largely closed since 2013.
Hamas has accused Egypt of adding to the siege of Gaza by destroying tunnels which have long been used to transport people and goods in and out of the enclave of some 1.8 million inhabitants.