Palestinians mourn teenager at anniversary of his burning

Palestinians held protests one year after the brutal burning of Palestinian teen Mohammed Abu Khdeir

Photo by: AP
Photo by: AP

Updated Jul 28, 2015

Hundreds of Palestinians demonstrated on Thursday in East Jerusalem in the first anniversary of the 16-year-old Palestinian teenager Mohammed Abu Khdeir’s brutal burning following his abduction in Jerusalem by Israeli settlers.

“We’ve been through a really hard time. They burned him alive, and we burn inside now,” Hussein Abu Hudayr, father of the teenager, told AFP on Thursday.

“His mother cries just at the mention of his name. I’m trying to be strong in front of my children, who’ve been traumatized by the death of their brother,” he added.

“The most important thing is that justice is pursued for my son. I want his killers to spend the rest of their lives behind bars, with no pardon.”

Abu Khdeir’s Shuafat neighborhood was filled by demonstrator waving Palestinian flags and holding posters and images of the boy.

“Muhammed Abu Khdeir, July 2, 2014: They kidnapped, tortured and burned you. Be a witness to their crimes,” one of the banners was read.

Israeli police took security measures deploying forces in Shuafat.

Khdeir was abducted in a street in East Jerusalem by Israeli settlers who laid in wait and forced him into a car.

The settlers burned him to death in a forest on July 2, eighteen days after three Israeli settlers were found dead after being lost on June 12 in West Bank.

The three man suspected of burning Khdeir to death went on trial in a Jerusalem district court on June 3.

However, the court delayed the trial to collect further evidence after hearing the lawyers.

Three days after the killing of Khdeir, his 15-year-old Palestinian-American cousin, Tarek Abu Khdeir, was beaten and detained by Israeli police in an assault caught on camera. After all, he was allowed to return to the United States.

Another one of his cousins, a 19-year-old who has the same name as him and an American citizen, was arrested by Israeli police in a protest on July 28.

In July and August 2014, Israel launched the 51-day “Operation Protective Edge” in Gaza Strip and killed more than 2,100 people, mostly women and children and injured another 11,000. On the Israeli side, 67 soldiers and six civilians were killed.

TRTWorld and agencies