Pro-Hadi fighters make significant advances in south Yemen

Fifth southern province in Yemen captured by Saudi coalition backed Pro-Hadi resistance fighters

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Southern Resistance fighters gather on a road leading to Yemen's Houthi-held southern province of Abyan August 8, 2015

Popular Resistance fighters loyal to the ousted Yemeni president Abded Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, made significant progress in their southern advancements, and announced they have taken control of the Shabwa Province on Saturday.

Significant advances were made in several areas in Shabwa, located in southeast of the country. In the meantime, life is gradually returning to recently freed Aden in the South. The resistance already has full control over Daleh, Lahej and Abyan.

Pro-Hadi resistance forces, backed by the Saudi-led coalition have control over several government buildings in Taez, which was previously seized by the Iranian-backed Houthis few months ago.

Sources close to the resistance say that about 20 Houthi fighters died during clashes in Taez.

However in Shabwa, a military official told AFP that the rebels "withdrew" and "handed over" Shabwa to the pro-government forces after they were promised a safe route out of the province.

"The province was handed over" to the Southern Movement, a secessionist group whose militants have been fighting in loyalist ranks, said Salem al-Awlaqi, a political activist in Shabwa.

The war in Yemen started when Houthi aggression pushed the Yemeni president Abed Rabbuh Mansour Hadi to call on Arab countries to “help save Yemen”. King Salman of Saudi Arabia has responded to the call and the military operations started in late March of this year. The Saudi-led ‘decisive storm’ operations, in which the Kingdom joined forces with 12 other countries to aid the exiled Yemeni government.

Local militias loyal to deposed Yemeni president Ali Abdullah Saleh are aiding the Iranian backed Houthis in the battle against the Arab backed Pro-Hadi Popular Resistance forces.

The UN has declared the situation in Yemen to be a level-three humanitarian emergency, the highest on its scale, after about 80 percent of the country’s population fell into dire need of humanitarian aid.

Twenty million people in the country are in need of aid, 13 million are facing food shortages and 9.4 million are having difficulties accessing drinking water.

A ship carrying enough UN aid to feed 180,000 people for a month docked at the Yemeni port of Aden in July, having previously being prevented from doing so for almost four weeks, World Food Programme spokesman Peter Smerdon said.

"It's the first WFP chartered ship to berth in the port since the conflict erupted in late March," Smerdon said. "We have additional ships chartered which are on standby heading towards Aden carrying more food and fuel."

TRTWorld and agencies