The ceasefire agreement signed by two Central African Republic (CAR) rival groups has been narrated as “meaningless”, as the interim government does not recognize it.
The agreement was signed April 8 in Nairobi, capital city of Kenya, between the rival Christian anti-balaka and Muslim seleka groups.
Current interim government of the CAR has plans as to its own alternative conciliation methods and had said it was not invited to be a part of the Nairobi peace talks, therefore cannot recognize it.
The interim government was also recorded saying that the peace talks are not recognized by France and the United States.
However, Kenyan mediators believe that the agreement signed has established peace between the two main factors that were dragging the country into continuous conflict.
“Let the Accords signed here be the testament of your irrevocable pledge to peaceful progresses, let this occasion mark the beginning of a rewarding walk to freedom, peace and happiness,” said Kenyan president Uhuru Kenyatta after the two rival groups signed the agreement.
The conflict in CAR began in 2013 when the Muslim Seleka rebels forced President Francois Bozize, a Christian who had come to power in a 2003 coup to step down. The rebels then selected a Muslim, Michel Djotodia, as interim president.
Earlier this year United Commission of Inquiry stated that the Christian militias in CAR have conducted an ethnic cleansing of the Muslim population in the country during the ongoing conflict.
However, the inquiry states that both parties “The Seleka coalition and the anti-Balaka are also responsible for war crimes against humanity.”
The conflict in CAR has turned into vengeful violence and has left over 900,000 displaced in CAR and over 200,000 people have become refugees
The aim of the agreement signed was to end years of fighting between the two main actors in the region and to help the citizens of CAR elect an effective democratic government which will represent and carter for the interests of all citizens.