Roadside bomb kills 16 in Yemen’s Sanaa

Roadside bomb in Sanaa kills 16 government soldiers, wounds 6 others

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

People salvage furniture from the rubble of a house destroyed by a Saudi-led air strike in Yemen's capital Sanaa November 7, 2015

At least 16 Yemeni government soldiers were killed and 6 other soldiers were wounded on Sunday by a roadside bomb in the province of Marib east of the capital Sanaa, said military sources.

The sources said the bomb appeared to be aimed at a patrol near an army camp in Marib. No specific group claimed responsibility for the attack so far.

For eight months, Iranian backed Houthis have been battling with the Saudi led coalition in Yemen.

As a result of Houthi aggression, Yemeni president Abed Rabbu Mansour Hadi had to temporarily move to the Saudi capital Riyadh, and formally request Arab states to help “save Yemen” from Houthi expansion. The Saudi-led coalition operations started in March of this year.

Warring parties appear to be finally coming together for long sought for talks expected in mid November, that could potentially help end the Yemeni suffering. As combatants finally agreed to implement UN Security Council Resolution number 2216.

"I expect that before mid-November, God willing, a date will be specified and I expect that the dialogue must begin before mid-November, as a minimum, 15 November," Ould Cheikh Ahmed told Reuters in Bahrain earlier this month.

The resolution calls on Houthi and fighters that are pro deposed president Ali Abdullah Saleh, to withdraw from main cities and surrender arms captured from Yemeni government forces.

The coalition has gained ground in the south, but Houthi militants remain in control of much of the country despite the almost daily air strikes.

Humanitarian crises in Yemen

War in the country has triggered an unprecedented humanitarian crisis in Yemen. The UN has declared the situation in Yemen to be a level three humanitarian emergency, the highest on its scale, after about 80 percent of the country’s population fell into dire need of humanitarian aid.

During the seven months of war in Yemen, at least 5,600 people have been reported dead, some 2,600 of them were civilians, the office for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights has said on 27 October.

Twenty million people in the poorest country in the Arabian peninsula, are in need of aid, 13 million are facing food shortages and 9.4 million are having difficulties accessing drinking water.

TRTWorld and agencies