Russian air strikes kill 10 civilians in Aleppo

Russian air strikes hit opposition held areas in Syria’s Aleppo killing 10 civilians, wounding 20 others

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

Syrian girl, whose home has been destroyed by the Russian air strikes, cries as Russian air strikes pound residential areas in opposition controlled Salihin neighbourhood of Aleppo, Syria on February 8, 2016.

Updated Feb 10, 2016

Local Syrian sources reported that Russian air strikes targeted opposition held areas in Syria’s Aleppo on Tuesday killing 10 civilians and injuring 20 others.

An official from the Syrian Civil Defence, Ibrahim Leys told Anadolu Agency that Russian warplanes attacked residential areas in Salihin, Kellese and Huluk neighbourhoods in Syria’s northern city of Aleppo.

Leys stated that the people injured during the attacks were taken to hospitals to receive medical treatment.

Russia's intervention has tipped the balance of the war in favour of Syrian regime leader Bashar al Assad, reversing gains the opposition made last year.

Russian and Syrian regime forces recently intensified their campaign even more in opposition-held areas around Aleppo as aid workers have warned that the city - Syria's largest before the war - could fall soon.

Tens of thousands of Syrians have been fleeing north of Aleppo to the Turkish border since Thursday after heavy Russian air strikes and reports of Syrian regime forces and its allies making gains in Aleppo's northern countryside, cutting opposition supply lines to Turkey.

Syrians are seen at Bab al-Salam border on Turkey's border in Azez district of Aleppo as they flee to Turkey to escape heavy Syrian regime and Russian air strikes, on February 6, 2016.

Regime advance could cut off aid to hundreds of thousands

The United Nations said on Tuesday that hundreds of thousands of civilians could be cut off from food supplies if Syrian regime forces succeed in their offensive to encircle opposition-held parts of Aleppo, warning of a massive new flight of refugees.

In an urgent bulletin released by the UNHCR, the organisation revealed that it is worried the regime advance could cut off the last link between opposition-held parts of Aleppo and the main Turkish border crossing.

Jakob Kern the World Food Programme's (WFP) director in Syria said “The situation is quite volatile and fluid in northern Aleppo with families on the move seeking safety.”

“We are extremely concerned as access and supply routes from the north to eastern Aleppo city and surrounding areas are now cut off, but we are making every effort to get enough food in place for all those in need, bringing it in through the remaining open border crossing point from Turkey.”

The offensive to surround Aleppo amounts to one of the most significant shifts of momentum in the five-year civil war, in which 250,000 people have been killed and 11 million others have been forced to flee their homes.

TRTWorld and agencies