Saudi border officers die in Yemeni cross border attack

Saudi border officers die from heavy gun fire launched from across Yemeni border

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Smoke rises from the site of a Saudi-led air strike in Yemen's capital Sanaa, September 26, 2015.

A Saudi Arabian sergeant and an officer guarding the Saudi-Yemeni border were killed in an attack launched from across the Yemeni border, the Saudi Interior Ministry said on Saturday.

The officers were killed by heavy gunfire from the Yemeni side on Friday when their vehicle was hit by a mine explosion, while patrolling across the border, the ministry said.

Saudi Arabia has been leading the operations in Yemen since March 2015, as it sees Houthis as proxies for Iran, the Kingdom accused Iran of trying to spread its influence into Arab states including Syria and Yemen.

Following a call from Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi to “save Yemen” from Houthi aggression, Saudi-led military operations started in late March.

The Saudi-led coalition battling the Iranian backed Houthi have stepped up its operations in the Yemeni capital, after Houthi bombardment killed at least 60 Saudi, Bahraini and United Arab Emirates soldiers at a military camp east of Sana'a last month.

The UN has declared the situation in Yemen to be a level-three humanitarian emergency, the highest on its scale, after about 80 percent of the country’s population fell into dire need of humanitarian aid.

Twenty million people in the country are in need of aid, 13 million are facing food shortages and 9.4 million are having difficulties accessing drinking water.

Ongoing battles have killed over 4,500 people in Yemen since March 26, UN reports confirm.


TRTWorld and agencies