Iran’s state news agency has reported that four Saudi children have died in Iran as a result of mass poisoning in a hotel.
The reports said on Monday the victims were a 14-year-old girl and three other boys all aged three years old.
According to the reports, more other 33 Saudi pilgrims were hospitalised after being poisoned by what is said to be poison used to kill insects and rats.
Iran's Minister of Health Hassan Hashemi, has stated that the incident was “deliberate.”
Due to this the court authorities in Mashhad city arrested the hotel director and four workers.
Investigations are still on-going Ali Mozaffari, Khorasan governorate’s prosecutor, stated on Monday.
The hotel is in the northeastern city of Mashhad, in which major shrines of Shiite Muslims are located.
More than 2 million foreign pilgrims visit the city of Mashhad each year, most of whom come from Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Bahrain, Azerbaijan and the Indian subcontinent.
The Deputy General Saudi Consul in Iran, Abdullah al Hamrani, is following the case closely and taking reports from from the hospital, according to Al Arabiya. He is following the conditions of the poisoned people and also contacting the families of the victims to understand the reasons behind what happened.