Saudi-led air strike kills 15 civilians in Yemen

At least 15 Yemeni civilians killed in Saudi-led coalition air strikes near Sanaa

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

A boy walks at the site of a Saudi-led air strike that hit a residential areanear Sanaa airport, on May 18, 2015.

Updated Jan 14, 2016

At least 15 Yemeni civilians were killed on Wednesday in an air strike by the Saudi-led coalition near the Yemeni capital of Sanaa, residents said, as the United Nations-brokered peace talks aimed to end the war in Yemen dimmed.

The air strikes hit an area called Bilad al Rus, around 40 km south of Sanaa, near an army base controlled by Houthi forces.

A resident told Reuters that at least 25 others were wounded due to the air raid on the area, which is sheltering Yemenis who have been displaced because of the nine-month-long conflict.

Warring parties in Yemen had agreed on a seven-day ceasefire which was launched on Dec 15, 2015 under UN surveillance in Switzerland.

However, the peace talks did not succeed the aimed purpose and ended just five days after it was initiated, with no major breakthrough, which followed by the collapse of repeatedly violated ceasefire on January 2. The first violation of the ceasefire came just minutes after it was declared.

As a result of Houthi aggression, Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi had to temporarily flee to the Saudi capital of Riyadh and formally request help from Arab states to “save Yemen” from the Houthi militants.

Saudi Arabia has been leading a military coalition which formally intervened in Yemen on March 25.

Gulf Arab countries and the US have accused Iran of assisting Houthi militants financially and militarily.

The former Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh, who backs the Houthis in the civil war, said last week that he would not sit on the negotiation table with President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi’s government.

The UN spokesman Ahmad Fawzi on Tuesday stated that Yemen peace talks that were supposed to be held on Jan 15 would not be held on time, adding that it will be delayed for at least a week.

According to UN estimates, at least 6,000 Yemenis have been killed during the war, half of which are civilians.

TRTWorld and agencies