Saudi-led air strikes, allied militia kill 29 Houthis in Yemen

Saudi-led coalition air strikes and forces loyal to President Hadi kill 29 Houthi militias in Yemen

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

Saudi Arabia-led coalition forces left 25 Houthi militia members dead during air strikes targeting Houthi political wing Ansarullah movement in Yemen’s Marib province on Saturday.

“The Saudi-led coalition conducted seven air strikes targeting positions held by the Houthis and allied forces loyal to ousted President Ali Abdullah Saleh in southwestern Marib,” Anadolu Agency reported citing local sources.

Fifteen people were injured during the air strikes in southeastern regions of Marib and a large amount of ammunitions destructed.

Earlier in the day four Houthi members were killed by Popular Resistance forces, militia loyal to exiled President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, after being ambushed in southern city of Taiz and seven other injured.

Coalition forces launched air strikes on Saturday morning on Houthi targets in Marib and several other cities after the Saudi Defence Ministry said on late Friday that at least three national troops were killed and seven others were wounded when Iranian-backed Houthi rebels launched rocket attacks on a Saudi military base from Yemen.

Saudi-led coalition announced a 5-day-truce last week but both sides of the conflict have continued to exchange fire despite the declaration.

The latest incident is not the first time that the parties have violated a ceasefire. On July 9, the United Nations declared an “unconditional humanitarian ceasefire” in Yemen to last until the end of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.

Both the Houthis and Saudi Arabia have accused each other of violating the truce since it started.

Saudi Arabia and Houthi forces have been exchanging fire across the Saudi-Yemeni border since the Saudis launched a military operation in Yemen against the Houthis involving air strikes on March 26 alongside an Arab coalition comprised of 10 countries.

The Saudi-led Arab coalition say their aim is to reinstate President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, who took refuge in Riyadh escaping Houthi attacks, to his position. After they launched the operation the governments of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates, in a joint statement said that they "have decided to answer the call of President Hadi to protect Yemen and its people from the aggression of the Houthi militia."

Amid the clashes, Vice president of the exiled Yemeni government, Khaled Bahah, landed in Yemen’s southern port city of Aden on Saturday aboard a Saudi plane, according to airport officials.

Bahah, who is also the prime minister of the exiled government in Riyadh, is the most senior official to visit Aden since local fighters loyal to Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi’s government supported by a Saudi-led coalition drove the Houthis out of the city more than two weeks ago.

The fighting is hurting the civilians in the country the most as the UN declared the situation in Yemen to be a level-three humanitarian emergency, the highest on its scale, after about 80 percent of the country’s population fell into dire need of humanitarian aid.

Twenty million people in the country are in need of aid, 13 million are facing food shortages and 9.4 million are having difficulties accessing drinking water.

Oxfam, an international disaster relief organisation, have reported that more than six million people in Yemen are on the verge of starvation.

TRTWorld and agencies